Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Teething

Caleb is teething. I've read in many books that some kids go through teething without much consequence...one day they just show up and you wouldn't have even known that your kid was pushing bones through his sensitive little gums. This is not the case for Caleb. My poor little guy is working so hard to get his first tooth right now and is making sure the world knows that it hurts and he's uncomfortable. The drool coming out of his mouth is phenomenal and he will put anything, and I mean anything, in his mouth just for a bit of relief. We've been keeping the cold teething rings on a circuit from the fridge to his mouth. He's also been extra clingy, but in a weird sort of way. He wants me to hold him, but not too close. If I hug him, he pushes me away. But if I sit next to him on the floor to play, that's not close enough. I figured out yesterday that if I sit him on my lap, but face him towards his toys, he's fine. I'm looking forward to seeing that first pearly white make its appearance. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whiskey. :)

Good luck! And try to keep that drool to a minimum. The popular kid NEVER drools.

Tell everyone hi!

Jenny said...

Sometimes I give Sam tylenol when I can tell he really is in pain, a pacifier can help, or those teething tablets. I use those but I am not sure they work. Sam tooka while to get his first one in and we are still waiting for the rest.

The Carpenters said...

Luckily, Coop was one of the kids to have the teeth just pop through without us knowing...until the incisors and molars. Yikes. The only time we let him sleep with us is when he's trying to pop those big boys out of his gums. He's fine during the day...but once he goes to sleep it's NOT fine anymore! Silly me...always tried to take the paci away for good and he'd start teething. I think he did it on purpose. He wanted that paci back! Good luck!