In a meeting I was in the other day, the speaker was talking about how we, as individuals, approach social situations differently. She posed the question, "Are you a 'Here I Am' or a 'There You Are' type of person?" I knew instinctively that I was not the one that I should be, even before she gave us the definitions. A 'Here I Am' type of person walks into a room and says "here I am" and prefers that everyone else come up to them and approach them in a social situation. A 'There You Are' type of person says, "Oh, there you are" and finds that other person, begins the conversation regardless of whether you're old friends or strangers. As I sat there listening, I began to wonder if there is a 'Don't Mind Me' type of person. The person who sits quietly observing and doesn't care one way or another, just as long as there is no attention being paid. I think I'm a 'Don't Mind Me' type of person. Of course, I couldn't ask the question - that would be hypocritical of my 'Don't Mind Me' personality, thus bringing the attention by asking the question. :)
As the meeting went on, she challenged us to be more like the 'There You Are' person in all social situations - church, the library, at the park, etc. To really be a welcoming face and voice in all places that we go and that even if we feel a little awkward, the other person will appreciate that we made the first move.
It's definitely a challenge - especially for me. But I'm willing to give it a go (baby steps). So which one are you?
P.S. Jennie Groezinger, there is no need to answer. I'm pretty sure you've never met a stranger in your life! :)
3 comments:
That is HILARIOUS that you gave me a "shout out" included in your actual post!! I was reading that thinking about how I am TOTALLY one to go up and approach ANYONE!!! :) I was in contact just last week with this guy I met on a road trip to St. Louis!!! He came across my number and called me up....we had a lovely chat! Too funny!!
Laura, I was thinking, "I'm neither of those" and then you presented your "Don't Mind Me" idea...SO me!!
In the classroom, I am definitely a "Here I Am" person, but I should really be a "There You Are" person. Boy, do I have a lot of changing to do.
And I, too, agree that Jennie is DEFINITELY a "There You Are" person. But I also think she's a "Here I Am", don't you? :) Love ya, Jennie!
I agree that Jennie is both too! I think that I am a "There you are person". I tend to go to people so that I don't have an opportunity to feel alone or left out. But I must say, I just love to chat with people too. I think IE and I are a lot alike. But IE is truely her own woman when it comes to social-butterflyism!
Post a Comment