Monday, December 15, 2008

Food Haze

Alright, put on your thinking caps and help me! I don't know why food, of all things, is the one thing that is really throwing me off when it comes to raising Caleb (at least at this point, I know I have so very much to learn!). For whatever reason, I am so hung up on what I'm supposed to be feeding him. Not when I'm supposed to be feeding him. If you know me, you know that I'm a planner, so scheduling fits into my personality. But I just cannot wrap my head around this - especially since Caleb turned 1. It's like the whole new world of absolutely everything has opened up and now I have so many choices, I don't know where to begin. I know that I want him to be eating healthy, that he should be getting a variety of things (remember the Food Pyramid from 3rd grade? - which has also definitely changed since I was in 3rd grade), that he should be eating what we're eating, etc, etc, etc. We've got the bread part of the pyramid covered - he'll eat anything that is in the family of bread (crackers, mac n cheese, bread itself)! I don't know, it's like, I want him to be eating what we're eating, but sometimes it doesn't seem appropriate. How do you give a 1 year old chili, or spicy chicken enchiladas? I feel like mealtime is the most stressful to me because I don't want to keep giving him crackers and little cut-up peaches.
So okay, moms, for those of you who have been through the 1 year old phase, what are good snacks and meals that I can add to my repetoire? When he was still eating rice cereal and baby food, it was so easy! Now he's all grown up and I've got to really think this out!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

cut up chicken nuggets, cheese with a little chicken in a soft shell, cooked veggies, ravioli, mashed potatoes, carrot fries (parents mag this month), lunch meat with cheese and crackers, jelly sami's, pop tarts, waffles, pancakes, spaghetti o's, hot dogs (if you are comfy with that), gerber pick up ravioli's, anything from a casserole, pulled pork, meatballs. Reall when it come down to it, you have to give it to them and see if they will eat it. Caleb very well may like spicy chicken. Offer him what you know he will eat, and then offer him the things you are unsure of that way you know his belly is full. And giving them a spoon or baby fork has always worked to get them to eat at my house.
Disclaimer- Sam eats just about anything! But you are not alone in your quest to feel like you are feeding your son healthy food!

The Carpenters said...

Oh, Laura, if you think it's hard now just wait! Caleb doesn't know about the wonderful wide-wide world of food, and he can't tell you what he wants yet. Such is the life of a 2 year old. I dread mealtimes when it's just me and Coop. I'm okay if I'm cooking for the whole family (like dinner or a weekend) but when it's just the two of us I hate it. He's SO picky. The kid would live off of cheese (ANY kind, shape, form). The other day he had cottage cheese, cheese crackers, string cheese, and apples and peanut butter! He hardly eats anything except breakfast. And normally when he's hungry, he wants a 'nack'. In fact, the first words out of his mouth in the morning are normally "Cooper want a 'nack'" or lately it's "Cooper have a oot-ol-up" (fruit roll-up). When he was one, we could put anything in front of him and he would chow down. Now he knows what he likes and what he doesn't. I made corn casserole the other day (he LOVES corn, by the way), and he took one bite and said, "Uck. 'Is is gross!" Makes a mom feel so good about her cooking skills! ;)
Keep chugging along. Don't back down if he throws a fit for the chocolate. Maybe I should remember my own words... ;)

megs @ whadusay said...

Looks like you've got good ideas already. Sean's standard fair for lunch these days is a cold meat sandwhich (turkey or ham) with cheese cut up into little pieces and a banana (also cut)! Dinner we are starting to give him what we eat (even Chili that wasn't too spicy)!

Breakfast is typically oatmeal, cereal and applesauce or bananas.

He doesn't get a lot of variety, but then he doesn't seem to mind either!