Yeah, that's right. I made our first call to Poison Control yesterday. I want you to know that I handled it with a very cool head, if I do say so myself. Here's how the morning went. We got up, had breakfast and then Caleb watched a little Dinosaur Train on PBS (it's educational, so it must be okay) while I hit the treadmill. We go upstairs afterward so I can take a quick shower. This has never been a problem...ever...until yesterday. I get out of the shower, go into my room and see Caleb holding my little bottle of eye drops. This isn't terribly uncommon, as he likes to pretend to put eye drops in (with the cap on, of course). However, I noticed that he had really done a number on chewing up the bottle this time. When I went to pick it up, it only had about 1/4 of what was originally in there left. I looked at him and said, "Buddy, did you drink some of this?" and he stopped for a moment, looked out to the side like he really had to ponder the question and said "umm....yeah!"
So needless to say, I called Poison Control. She assured me that it was probably a very small amount, but that the active ingredients have the potential to make him vomit. Yeah. So after getting instructions to give him 4 ounces of milk, I hung up and whipped out the sippy cup. I'm happy to report there has been nothing to clean up. Hooray!
Friday, November 20, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
The New House!
Okay, so without further ado....here's the new house. We're officially in and we can call it ours, so I feel okay about posting a few pictures (pics have previous owners stuff - hey, we're still living among boxes...how unimpressive would those pictures be?!). Unpacking has been slow as some cold/flu-type symptoms have taken vengance upon our family. However, we're getting there! Moving day went great thanks to the Crusaders Moving Company (i.e. practically every member of our church) and our families. We had beautiful weather - thank goodness! Can't wait for everyone to come and visit!
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Officially Homeless
Well, we're officially homeless. We closed on our house last night. Everything went really well, and we're feeling rich for about 4 days. Then we get to take it all to our closing on Friday and cry a little on the inside when we have to hand over that check.
It's kind of weird not owning a house. To literally be floating around in home ownership land for 4 days. But the people who bought our house have graciously allowed us to stay in our current house until we move next weekend (rent free - hallelujah!!!), so it's not too bad!
It's kind of weird not owning a house. To literally be floating around in home ownership land for 4 days. But the people who bought our house have graciously allowed us to stay in our current house until we move next weekend (rent free - hallelujah!!!), so it's not too bad!
Monday, October 26, 2009
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
House Update #2
We have official documents in our hands! We're moving on November 7th! Hooray! It's almost hard to believe. Gabe has a countdown going on his phone and I think we're down to 16 days. That doesn't seem like enough time! But we'll make it work. I'm currently in the process of calling all of the utilities and everyone in the world to give them our address change and to start and stop services. I don't think I could be having any less fun if I tried. But I'm almost through my list and what I don't have checked off is mostly phone calls that Gabe has to make. Gotta run, though. Caleb is still sleeping, which means I might get a few more calls in before he wakes up!
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
House Update
I realize it's been awhile since I've given an update on the house situation. Due to the fact that things have been changing daily, it didn't really seem worth posting anything, but now I feel I can.
I'm not sure where everyone is on knowing what has been going on, so I'll try to back-track to where I think I left most of you. All was well with the house that we planned to buy. The inspection came back great, so there are no worries there. Then the last step was to get the appraisal done.
Long story short, the appraisal was done and it came back $6000 under our negotiated sale price. Good for us, right? You would think. However the sellers decided that they were unhappy about the difference. They saw no problem with the actual appraisal, just that it wasn't the price they wanted. So this led to a variety of different offers on their part to make up that difference, which led to a variety of counter-offers that said "no" on our part. The last offer on the table, was that they wanted to get a second appraisal. They would pay for it, but we would have to switch banks. After much research and discussion, we said we would do this. In response to our agreement, they wanted us to use a specific mortgage company to find our new bank (gave us names, numbers, appt times, etc). This seemed fishy to us and would have required us to change loan officers which we did not want to do.
So on Saturday I drafted an email that gave the sellers 3 options - #1. sell it to us for the original appraisal price, #2. don't sell it to us at all, or #3. seek the second appraisal, but on our terms. This email went to them on Monday night with a deadline of 12pm on Wednesday.
It is now 1:30pm on Wednesday and here is how it turned out. I got a call on Tuesday morning from our real estate agent saying that the sellers were willing to sell it to us for the original appraisal if they could cut our agent's commission to $500. Uh.....that's crazy-talk! Our agent has done so much work for this house and has already taken a cut in his commission to do it. So I wholeheartedly told them "no." About 10 minutes later, my agent called back and said that we had lost the house. Immediate sobbing ensued. I had tried to mentally prepare myself for this, but alas, I lost it anyway.
Fast forward an hour. I'm sitting at home desperately wanting Gabe to come home for lunch so we can talk and so I can cry some more. My phone rings. It's my agent. He says, "how are your emotions right now?" I say, "well, I've pretty much been crying all morning." He continues to tell me that apparently we called their bluff, that they didn't think we'd walk away, and they're now going to sell it to us for the original appraisal price and the full commission for our agent. What????!!! I had to sit down. I almost didn't believe him. But it's true! Isn't God great!
So now we're being cautiously excited. We still haven't seen the actual paper copy of the new negotiated price with their signatures on it and until then, I don't think I can believe we have the house. I take nothing for granted now after this long process. But my hope is that I have no more updates to give you and that we're moving on November 7th!
I'm not sure where everyone is on knowing what has been going on, so I'll try to back-track to where I think I left most of you. All was well with the house that we planned to buy. The inspection came back great, so there are no worries there. Then the last step was to get the appraisal done.
Long story short, the appraisal was done and it came back $6000 under our negotiated sale price. Good for us, right? You would think. However the sellers decided that they were unhappy about the difference. They saw no problem with the actual appraisal, just that it wasn't the price they wanted. So this led to a variety of different offers on their part to make up that difference, which led to a variety of counter-offers that said "no" on our part. The last offer on the table, was that they wanted to get a second appraisal. They would pay for it, but we would have to switch banks. After much research and discussion, we said we would do this. In response to our agreement, they wanted us to use a specific mortgage company to find our new bank (gave us names, numbers, appt times, etc). This seemed fishy to us and would have required us to change loan officers which we did not want to do.
So on Saturday I drafted an email that gave the sellers 3 options - #1. sell it to us for the original appraisal price, #2. don't sell it to us at all, or #3. seek the second appraisal, but on our terms. This email went to them on Monday night with a deadline of 12pm on Wednesday.
It is now 1:30pm on Wednesday and here is how it turned out. I got a call on Tuesday morning from our real estate agent saying that the sellers were willing to sell it to us for the original appraisal if they could cut our agent's commission to $500. Uh.....that's crazy-talk! Our agent has done so much work for this house and has already taken a cut in his commission to do it. So I wholeheartedly told them "no." About 10 minutes later, my agent called back and said that we had lost the house. Immediate sobbing ensued. I had tried to mentally prepare myself for this, but alas, I lost it anyway.
Fast forward an hour. I'm sitting at home desperately wanting Gabe to come home for lunch so we can talk and so I can cry some more. My phone rings. It's my agent. He says, "how are your emotions right now?" I say, "well, I've pretty much been crying all morning." He continues to tell me that apparently we called their bluff, that they didn't think we'd walk away, and they're now going to sell it to us for the original appraisal price and the full commission for our agent. What????!!! I had to sit down. I almost didn't believe him. But it's true! Isn't God great!
So now we're being cautiously excited. We still haven't seen the actual paper copy of the new negotiated price with their signatures on it and until then, I don't think I can believe we have the house. I take nothing for granted now after this long process. But my hope is that I have no more updates to give you and that we're moving on November 7th!
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Nothing New
I don't know anything new, other than that Caleb is starting to feel better. So here are some pics of the past week:
Aren't daddies great!
CHEESE!
He loves this blankie!
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)