Saturday, October 2, 2010

Waiting in Line

I was lucky enough to need to visit my local DMV on Tuesday. My birthday fell on a Monday, which meant I was forced to be a rebel and drive around on an expired license for a whole day. I would make Ricky Martin proud "livin' la vida loco" (living the crazy life...for all of you who missed the RM craze a few years back).

I just couldn't let this opportunity pass without giving my two cents on the DMV. For one, my local DMV is located in quite possibly the shadiest section of B/N. So perhaps this is what led me to my second observation: why does the DMV always have the armpit of america sitting in it's waiting room? I mean, really! Everyone has to go to the DMV. For a variety of reasons, nonetheless. So in theory, there shoudl be a nice blend of people there. And yet, every time I'm there I feel a little more grungy on my way out.

And it's been said, but literally no one is happy when they're there. Virtually everything you go in to do costs money. Even renewing your license costs money - I'm out $30 just to be legal again. Except of course, one man. There is actually one man who was smiling the whole time I was there. The picture guy. How can that guy not be smiling. People smile at him for a living. So he basically just stares at smiling people all day. And when he does take a picture that's bad, it's probably pretty funny.
He was enjoying his job so much, that when he called out my name to get my picture taken, I felt like I was "comin' on down" at the Price is Right. Perhaps he needs to spread a little bit of that joy to the cashier lady and the front desk officer. Then, just maybe, I wouldn't dread going there every 4 years.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

The DMV down south is usually empty. So the picture lady doesn't smile all day because there is no one to smile at. And just a few years ago a not so young lady drove her car right into the waiting room (which is the vision room, the picture room, and the payment room)!
I like to hear about your day. Did Caleb join you in the adventure? I have such a hard time paying $30.

Unknown said...

I've found all DMVs are in a shady part of town. Even the one in Carlinville was in the bad area.

I'm good til 2013! YESSSS!